Gut Friendly vanilla cookies!
Eaking season is here, so it's time for some delicious treats! Don't let those sugary treats leave you green with envy, you can also enjoy a treat or two. Dark chocolate is your best friend during the holidays because it's low FODMAP.
Check out our delicious low FODMAP vanilla cookie and chocolate dip recipe. Baking is also a great way to spend quality time with the family, particularly the youngest members of the household. Enjoy!
- 3 tbsp (200 g) of Butter (or olive oil spread)
- 3/4 cup (150 g) of Sugar
- 2 Large egg yolks
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (400 g) Cup4Cup Gluten Free Flour
- 2 tbsp Milk (Almond Milk or milk you prefer/tolerate)
- Optional: 1 tbsp lemon zest*
- 8 oz (200 g) Dark chocolate
- 6 tsp White sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Line two cookie trays with baking paper and grease.
- Measure out the butter (or olive oil spread) and partially melt. Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk the ingredients until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Separate the egg whites and egg yolks. Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract to the sugar mixture and mix well.
- Sieve the Cup4Cup Gluten Free Flour into the sugar mixture.
- Add the lemon zest (optional).
- Add two tablespoons of milk to the mixture.
- Mix with a wooden spoon and then use your hands to knead the mixture together and form a soft dough. If the dough is too dry you can add a tiny bit more milk.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten the cookie dough on a lightly floured work surface. Flatten to a thickness of ¼ inch (5 mm). Cut into an assortment of bunny or animal shapes.
- Place the cookies on the baking trays and put them in the oven for 10-15 minutes (until they are slightly golden-brown). Remove from the oven and allow them to rest for two minutes and then transfer them to wire racks and cool.
Chocolate Dip Instructions
- Once the cookies have cooled you can sprinkle them with sugar and eat them as is or you can dip them in chocolate (The dip is our personal favorite!).
- Use a double broiler to melt the dark chocolate and white sugar. Then dip the bottom half of each cookie (We used a knife to scoop the chocolate onto each cookie). You can also add sprinkles for a dash of color.
- Place them on a sheet of baking paper to set.
Let us know in the comments below if you tried this recipe or want to share another low FODMAP recipe with your fellow Visbiome community!