Celebrating cinco de mayo - yes! it is possible!
Our loyal customers have been sharing their favorite recipes with us. This recipe's main ingredients are pork and nachos. The key to this recipe is the toppings. You can pick the ones you feel comfortable with and skip the ones that will likely be tough on your gut. If you don't tolerate cheese in general, you can explore plant-based alternatives or skip it completely!
Try the recipe and leave us your comments! Feliz 5 de mayo!
- 4-pound pork shoulder bone-in
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
Queso Sauce - Optional
- 150g Shredded Cheddar
- 200g Swiss, Gruyere, or Monterey Jack
- 1/2 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum or Cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Milk (Almond Milk or milk you prefer/tolerate)
- 1 bag of corn tortilla chips
- ¾ cups of chopped cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cups chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup green onion
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Any other Low FODMAP toppings of your choice!
- Leave pork shoulder out on kitchen counter and let it reach room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 315°F
- Mix together all the dry ingredients until the mix is even.
- Using your hands, rub the dry rub all over the exposed surfaces of the pork shoulder.
- Place the coated shoulder in a large roasting pan and place in oven. Cook until internal temperature is above 145°F. This should be around 4-5 hours
- Remove pork from the oven and let rest for 30 minutes. .
- Shred with a pair of forks
- Add both cheeses into a saucepan. Turn on heat to medium-low and add the milk substitute and cornstarch. Stir frequently and slowly raise heat to medium as mixture begins to come together.
- Once mixture is smooth, feel free to add more liquid to thin it out, or more corn starch to help thicken the sauce.
- All paprika, cumin and mix it thoughly.
Tip: this should be the last thing you make! You want to pour the Queso Sauce right after its done cooking, so make sure everything else is ready first!
Spread out the corn tortilla chips over a serving tray. Then add the warm shredded pork on top followed by the array of vegetables and toppings – except for the cilantro and green onions. Pour the Queso Sauce over everything and then finish by sprinkling the cilantro and green onions on top.
Let us know in the comments below if you tried this recipe or want to share another low FODMAP recipe with your fellow Visbiome community!
The Right Bacteria, in Precise Ratios, Working Together
Visbiome® is a high potency probiotic medical food containing 8 strains of live bacteria. It is intended for the dietary management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Ulcerative Colitis, and other conditions.
In a clinical study Visbiome has proven to aid with common IBS symptoms such as reductions in abdominal pain, flatulence, and bloating.